[Seaside-dev] Re: encoded stream

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:13:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Philippe Marschall
<philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
> That doesn't make sense. If you use utf-16 internally and I can't
> imagine anybody wanting that then you'd almost certainly want to use
> it for external as well.
> But request don't in general. Seriously if a strange request comes in
> you probably won't even notice. And if you do you won't find out what
> the encoding really is. You just can't in practice because the
> information isn't there.

Which is exactly my point and therefore I think you must be missing
it. ;) You're picking on UTF-16 as a straw man argument. It's totally
irrelevant what internal encoding the user wants to use and my
argument is exactly the same no matter which one you pick (including
using UTF-16 internally and externally).

My _only_ point is the following:

*** We are throwing away information when we *do* know the encoding
(b) coming in because we are not allowing the user any way to specify
what internal encoding they want to be using (c) except, for some
reason, if it is "Smalltalk". ***

The user can only pick "hopefully Smalltalk" or "unknown" for their
internal encoding. I think they should be able to pick "hopefully
UTF-8": it would be at least as useful as "unknown" and (I think)
easier to understand.