[Seaside-dev] Seaside-Flow

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:19:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yup, exactly. Well, except there currently isn't an explicit reset
>>> operation in the context chain; a compiled method is passed in as a
>>> marker at the time of the shift. It's this coupling that I'm not
>>> entirely happy with.
>>
>> Hmm, that's a bit ugly, but only because it makes the implementation
>> very Seaside-specific.
>
> (1) It is a decoupling, not a coupling.

It's coupling in that Flow can now only be used with the existing
ActionCallback as opposed to anywhere that leaves an appropriate
marker. It's also coupling in that you cannot (as far as I can see)
provide an alternate implementation using two full continuations
without hacking core.

The latter is not the end of the world in that ports can hack core if
needed. The first is somewhat theoretical but since I would like
people like Colin to be able to implement alternative frameworks using
our base pieces I still kind of think it sucks.

How is having a hook to add continuations in core any worse than
having hooks to add filters, request context properties, exception
handlers, or anything else?