[Seaside-dev] A little bit more on encodings

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Mon Jun 15 20:04:50 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm digging in to why WAEncodingFunctionalTest was failing for me and
discovered that the WABufferedResponse is not set up the way I would expect.

It has a header that says the content-type's charset is utf8, however
the actual contentsStream is a WANullCodecStream wrapped around a plain
WriteStream containing a collection of a TwoByteString of characters.

Basically... no encoding has gone on at all - so naturally when I try to
send the response back to the browser, it's not bytes and it's not utf8,
so i get gibberish.

Where was the content type of the response even supposed to have been
setup? What's puzzling is that the codec of a WAServerAdaptor always
seems to be a WANullCodec, which flows on down in to the rest of the
response handling mechanisms and never appears to change?

I must be missing something....

Michael