[Seaside-dev] WAMutex

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Mon Nov 23 22:03:06 UTC 2009

I'd like to swap out the grease method for #semaphoreClass, with a grease method to answer with the #mutex class (which would involve moving WAMutex to Grease) .. the only other place that the semaphoreClass is used is in a test and since that's not involved in persistence it could be a real semaphore in GemStone too...

Of course, we could leave the #semaphoreClass method just in case it needs to be used in the future ...

Since WAMutexes(WAMutexi?) are persisted, I need transient protection for both the Semaphore and process references ... the process could have a direct Semaphore reference in the stack ....

WAMutex is used in WAMutualExclusionFilter and WACache ...

I _could_ subclass WACache, but then I'd want a way to inject the GemStone cache as the default since WACache would not be usable/recommended in GemStone...

Again, for the short term, I can create a GemStone-specific package witht a direct override until we come up with a satisfactory resolution for this and the other issues I'm sure to bump into.

If a solution is a no-brainer, then we should do it relatively soon, but if we're choosing between hacks, then it is worth waiting until I've uncovered more of the persistence issues...