[Seaside-dev] Detecting installed Seaside versions?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Nov 25 03:42:58 UTC 2009

On 24-Nov-09, at 6:27 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> I'm trying to answer the big picture question of "Does this image
> have Seaside installed, and if so, which version".

I've run into this problem too, not with Seaside, but with my own
projects - OmniBrowser, Monticello and now Filesystem. I'm trying out
a new strategy with Filesystem - the class FSReleaseInfo has a class
variable called Current. The SAR install script sets it after the
install. So far FSReleaseInfo just has a version number, but it can
grow to include more metadata if necessary. The plan is to have the
install script for future versions check for the presence of
FSReleaseInfo and if it's there, use "FSReleaseInfo current version"
to figure out what upgrade script to run. Andreas, I realize this
doesn't do you any good for the moment, but perhaps something similar
could work for future releases of Seaside 3.

For now I'd bet there *is* check-for-WAFrumbazzle-style algorithm out
there, but somebody will have to do the analysis to figure out what it
is. It might not be *that* complicated... I bet
"SeasidePlatformSupport versionString" is a good place to start. For
the alpha versions of 2.9 and 3.0, there's been a lot of package
churn, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out what version is present
based on that. Before SeasidePlatformSupport existed... well, how far
back to you want to go?

Colin