[Seaside-dev] GRCodecStream>>tab

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 23:49:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:

> On 03.08.2010, at 14:50, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu.org> wrote:
>
> On 08/03/2010 02:45 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> I try to make a tool of mine more mature by utilizing grease for it.
>
> But some tools I use like Sixx use tab: to indent XML in a stream. So
>
> I'm wondering why GRCodecStream has GRCodecStream>>tab for a single
>
> tab but not GRCodecStream>>tab: for multiple. What is the rationale
>
> of the decision to include one and not the other?
>

> Likely "no one thought about it". :)
>
> Yeah, Seaside doesn't use it, so we didn't add it. Feel free to commit
> a change and some new tests.
>
> Well, to be honest I was fishing for reasons to dislike tab. This way I
> would have ripped the usage of tab out of Sixx. What is the "policy" about
> things being included in grease? Is it just that some needs it?
> Norbert

No, the policy is that we try to keep it small and treat new additions
somewhat suspiciously. That's despite Lukas' enthusiasm above. ;)

My goals with Grease are (roughly in order):
1) Make Seaside portable
2) Make platforms comfortable supporting Grease
3) Make Grease useful to other projects

(2) implies that need to keep what's in Grease free of load issues and
as small as possible.
(3) implies adding the most commonly used things (ie. the things that
"everybody" adds in their own environments).

(1) implies that we add whatever Seaside needs and this is the most
important thing. But we also try to adjust Seaside when possible to
accommodate (2) and (3).

As for #tab:... (since you wanted opinions) I agree #tab is not
essential, though it is somewhat convenient. #tab: is even less
essential and I don't even really like its selector, if I'm being
honest. It's also probably not that big a deal, however, particularly
since it's on a GR-prefixed class. So, if pressed I would argue
against it on principle until convinced otherwise, but I also don't
really care if people want it added.