[Seaside-dev] Comet request handling / Ajax performance

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 5 05:35:28 UTC 2010

On 8/3/2010 9:21 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> You might wonder why I care about this. Simply put: Ajax response times.

And to bring this point home, I've installed a Seaside 3 image with
WebServer and the changes from
http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=591 on
http://ardemo.seasidehosting.st. The interesting parts to look at (and
possibly wireshark if you're interested) are:

http://ardemo.seasidehosting.st/seaside/javascript/jquery/ajaxanddommanipulation

Click *quickly* on either "prepend" or "append" and you should see
significantly better responses than running any other server adaptor.
It's quite noticable in Firefox; with WAComancheAdaptor each update
takes about a second.

http://ardemo.seasidehosting.st/seaside/comet/counter

Just a demo illustrating that streaming via Comet really works with
using WAComboResponse. Wireshark it to see the chunked transfer-encoding.

http://ardemo.seasidehosting.st/seaside/ajaxBench

The ajax updater benchmark. Runs at 30 req/sec for me which is pretty
good given a ping time of 180msecs to the server (any TCP retransmit
will incur 180msecs penalty).

Cheers,
   - Andreas