[Seaside-dev] beta?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Tue Feb 16 21:11:30 UTC 2010

Metacello has first-class versions as well, but parsing strings is part of the game. Humans will be writing and reading the strings:

  Loader load: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside' version: '2.8.4'

So Metacello has parsing rules for versions to convert back and forth between versions and strings.

I know that with Monticello, there never was a concrete (read enforced) definition for the file name. Gofer has imposed a parsing scheme on Monticello file names that works pretty well for calculating the latest file, but falls down when the creators of a Monticello filename use a convention that is at odds with Gofer's scheme ...

I want to avoid that problem with Metacello, so this early in the game I'm willing to change my parsing scheme.

GRVersion can certainly be converted to MetacelloVersionNumber, but I am worried about the print string format (call me anal).

If you are going to write a message that says load 1.0a6 of Grease, then I would hope that Metacello would load '1.0a6' of Grease and that the sort order of versions will work (there is a load latest option in Metacello)....Since I've already gone and created a version called 1.0alpha51 I can't imagine a parser/sorter that would sort 1.0a6 later than 1.0alpha5.1. If you can think of one I am interested.

I'm already pretty well convinced that I was overly optimistic that something like 1.0-a6 would fly as a version naming scheme. But I am willing to change and from what I can tell, you'd like to use the name 1.0a6 instead of 1.0alpha6, so I think I will be changing the ConfigurationOfGrease configs ... better now, than later.

I'll also be bringing up the version scheme on the Metacello mailing list to get more feedback ...

Dale
----- "Julian Fitzell" <jfitzell at gmail.com> wrote:

| Well, to be honest I was trying to avoid all of this string sorting
| by
| having a first-class Version. :)
|
| Actually, now that I say that, I realize I hadn't mentioned that so
| you may not have noticed. Can you just convert the GRVersion to
| whatever string you want?
|
| Julian
|
| On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Dale Henrichs
| <dale.henrichs at gemstone.com> wrote:
| > Mmmmm, ('1.0-a6' asMetacelloVersionNumber) sorts less than
| ('1.0-alpha5'asMetacelloVersionNumber). since 'a6' sorts less than
| 'alpha5'.
| >
| > I could tweak the sorting algorithm for version numbers, but I was
| hoping that the string components in the version number would just
| sort as strings.
| >
| > If you are set on using 'a' instead of 'alpha' I'd almost rather
| bite the bullet now and change the existing references...
| >
| > BTW, the '-' is significantly part of the metacello version numbers.
| I haven't had any push back, yet, but I'm willing to wiggle aroun in
| the version component parsing space. Currently:
| >
| >  1.0a6 parses into { 1.'0a6'. }
| >  1.0-a6 parses into { 1. 0. 'a6' }
| >  1.0-a.6 parses into {1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
| >  1.0-a.6 parses into {1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
| >  1.0-6 parses into { 1. 0. '6'. }
| >
| > an alternate scheme could go with (A):
| >
| >  1.0a6 parses into  { 1. 0. 'a6'. }
| >  1.0-a6 parses into { 1. 0. 'a6'. }
| >  1.0-a.6 parses into {1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
| >  1.0-6 parses into { 1. 0. '6'. }
| >
| > or even (B):
| >
| >  1.0a6 parses into  { 1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
| >  1.0-a6 parses into { 1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
| >  1.0-a.6 parses into {1. 0. 'a'. 6. }
| >  1.0-6 parses into { 1. 0. 6. }
| >
| > This doesn't help with 'alpha' part, but if you are strongly opposed
| to 1.0-a.6 then now would be the time to speak up, because I'm pretty
| sure that I can get away with supporting either of A or B ...
| >
| > Now that it comes up, I'm probably in favor of B...
| >
| > Dale
| >

| > ----- "Julian Fitzell" <jfitzell at gmail.com> wrote:
| >
| > | Mm... I think there's no point changing everything. Since luckily
| you
| > | went with 1.0 anyway, why don't we just call this 1.0a6 then?
| Does
| > | that solve things?
| > |
| > | Julian
| > |

| the
| > | liberty of using '1.0-alpha1' as the original version number.
| Grease
| > | is up to '1.0-alpha5.1' in Metacello. It appears that you are
| using a
| > | different naming scheme than that used by Seaside.

| > | '2.8.4.4', but I don't see any danger in version naming collisions
| for
| > | Seaside.

| > | product versions, so pardon me for going ahead and using up some
| of
| > | the valuable version namespace for Grease.

| change
| > | the Grease version numbers to match your vision (technically
| published
| > | versions aren't supposed to change), but I'd need to know the
| names
| > | that you'd like to use for the already released versions of
| Grease, so
| > | I can change the Grease configuration and all of the other
| > | configuration that reference Grease.

| soon.
| > | At
| realistically