[Seaside-dev] ConfigurationOfSeaside30 3.0.0-alpha5.15 ready for a bit of review

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:19:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com> wrote:
> Julian,
>
> That's why I've got the #development blessing for Metacello ... it makes it real easy to flip the switch for production as the last step is to change only the blessing and commit:)

Well, I similarly have a single place to flip the switch. I just made
the mistake of not doing it last a couple of weekends ago and then
this Welcome screen took on its own life and it's a few weeks later.
:)

> The #includes: directive in Metacello does not tightly bind the included packages together, since Metacello has to allow for dependencies that may _need_ to come between the two packages. I can look another look at the algorithm that calculates load order and see if I can tighten up the coupling ... with that said, I have yet to run into initialization issues so it may not actually make a difference. As I think about this, I don't think that there can be a problem here ... Unless I'm mistaken (with SqueakSource down, I can't look at my most recent ConfigurationOfSeaside30) the packages that come between the #included packages are neutral packages ... #includes: tries to ensure that all packages that depend upon Seaside-Environment get loaded after Seaside-Pharo-Environment ... it does not ensure that Seaside-Pharo-Environment is loaded immediately after Seaside-Environment ... I'll take a closer look to make sure that constraint is not violated.

That's probably fine - I just wanted to make sure that the constraint
was enforced that the Pharo version was loaded before anything that
depended on the generic one.

> I'll add the 'Development' group tomorrow with Slime and Seaside-Development...
>
> I'm not sure I understand you comment on Flow being dependent upon the platform (unless you are implying that you want Flow to be part of the 'Base' group except on platforms that don't support Flow).

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Unless a platform can't handle Flow, it
should be in the Base.

> You are already loading Seaside-Examples for Welcome, it may make sense to create a Seaside-Flow-Examples (ignoring package naming problems) that contained a couple examples of Flow...then it wouldn't be necessary to include the Flow-test (and all of it's dependents) s just to get a Task example.

Yes, or just add one in Welcome itself (don't have to use the cheese
one). I'll take a look.