[Seaside-dev] about Grease codecs

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 06:29:32 UTC 2010

> How are Codecs meant to be implemented exactly?  The tests are not
> clear, and it looks like they are supposed to convert only to and from
> ISO-8859-1.

Codecs are implemented like this:

   decoder: something --> internal encoding
   encoder: internal encoding --> something

One of the two encodings is always the internal encoding of the
Smalltalk you are using. In case of Pharo/Squeak this is obviously
ISO-8859-1.

As far as I know Pharo and Squeak has no way to convert between two
arbitrary codecs. You always have to go through the internal encoding
first.

Philippe might have more insight into this.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch