[Seaside-dev] release

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Wed May 19 21:48:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Michael Lucas-Smith <
mlucas-smith at cincom.com> wrote:

> On 5/19/10 2:18 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
>> Ok, seriously. This is ridiculous.
>>
>> We need to release. I'm starting to find this actually embarrassing. :)
>>
>> What do we need to do? Just testing/packaging/release announcement?
>>
>> Here's the best I can think of: I'll commit to spending half a day this
>> weekend working on a Release Candidate. After that, I won't have any free
>> time until mid-June. That would give the vendors and interested users fair
>> warning and a few weeks to test, port, and report any showstoppers. Then we
>> do a final (hopefully just repacking, probably some minor fix integration).
>>
>> So:
>>  a) will that plan work?
>>  b) who can help this weekend?
>>
> I'll help. I'm close to integrating in to VisualWorks 7.7.1 and WebVelocity
> 1.1 - so doing it with the full release would be even better.
> I can do live ports to VisualWorks and contribute fixes back.
>
> Are we talking a 3.0 release, or a 3.0a6 release, or a 3.0b1 release?

I think consensus is we're talking a 3.0 (RC, I'm suggesting).

We need to shorten our cycles and reduce the friction to releasing. We don't
have the manpower to ensure a prefectly bug-free release anyway so all these
release levels are a bit pointless. It felt necessary given the degree of
change between 2.8 and 3.0 but given that people are using the current alpha
in production already, there's not reason to add 6 months and several more
releases into that process.

We'll just release a 3.0.1 with bugfixes.

And then we need to agree on one or two significant milestones to mark 3.1
but that's a topic for another day.