[Seaside-dev] broken SU

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Tue May 25 23:35:56 UTC 2010

So I looked into the failing Scriptaculous code. The problem is that
we are now adding onclick handlers for scriptaculous AJAX calls using
the observe() function. Returning false from these handlers does not
prevent the anchor's normal action from executing. Instead of "return
false" you need "event.stop()".

So, how do we solve that? We don't want users to have to know how
Seaside is adding the event handler in order to know what code they
need to write. Where's the right place to put an abstraction for this
(and can it be shared between SU/JQ?). Do we define some variant of
#callback: that doesn't allow the normal action to take place? (or a
variant that takes a boolean - #callback:stop:?)

I think we need to fix this before releasing because a bunch of the
demos are just totally broken (at very least, we need to change all
the "return false" statements to use "event.stop()" but that's not
really a proper fix).