[Seaside-dev] Re: [Seaside] Re: Metacello packaging

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Sun May 30 07:44:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com> wrote:

> Julian Fitzell wrote:
>>
>> (whew.... too long. if this keeps up, we'll have to wait until ESUG to
>> do this in person :) )
>
> Haha, I think we're getting close.
>
> At this point I feel like I've made a case for splitting out the things that
> I thought could be split out and you are in favor of keeping them bundled
> ... your reasoning is sound and I don't think there is an absolute right and
> wrong here...my main purpose is to engage you in the decision making process
> and that has been accomplished, so I think we can leave the notion of
> breaking anything out into separate configurations behind us.

Ok.

>> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com>
> I think that with Doru's experience we do need to adjust the group
> definitions within Grease so that it is possible to load Grease without
> bringing in Slime ....
>
> So the questions become:
>
>  1. Should Slime be loaded by default when loading Grease?
>
>    If no, we can split Slime out into a group that is not loaded
>    by default.

I *think* that if you are explicitly loading Grease yourself, and your
platform supports Slime, you should get Slime by default.

>  2. Should Slime be loaded by default when loading Seaside3.0?
>
>    If yes, that's easy to arrange.
>
>    If no:
>
>      Should Slime be included in one of the other Seaside3.0 groups
>      like the development group _or_ do you want an independent Slime
>      group so that Slime can be loaded "through
>      ConfigurationOfSeaside30" _or_ do you expect someone to explicitly
>      load Slime "through ConfigurationOfGrease"?

No. There's a Seaside-Slime package in Seaside that adds
Seaside-specific rules. It depends on having Slime and I guess should
be in the Development group.

Seaside-Core should depend on Grease-Core. Even if we had other Grease
packages (-Filesystem, -Sockets, whatever) at some point in the
future, I imagine applications might depend only the specific pieces
they need. That minimizes the amount of stuff that has to be pulled
in. Maybe we also want a Grease group that pulls in all the code but
not the tests or Slime... not sure.

Sound plausible?