[Seaside-dev] Seaside 3.1 ready

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun May 13 16:40:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Philippe Marschall
<philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Regarding the 256 literal limit, would you be amenable to breaking Seaside3.1 up into smaller chunks? I think that it is high time that the configuration for Seaside be revisited and revamped
>>
>> I have spent zero time looking at Seaside3.1 so I have no idea that's been going on there, but things like the javascript support and REST and JSON and Examples and etc. could actually be managed in separate configurations. Splitting those things out into separate configurations would not only reduce the number of literals needed in the monolithic version spec, but would make it easier for people to understand what is optional and what is required ...
>>
>> What do you say?
>
> Sounds interesting. Just to be sure, we'd end up with configuration classes like
>
> ConfigurationOfSeaside31
> ConfigurationOfJQuery
> ConfigurationOfSeasideRest

OK, I moved a lot of things in ConfigurationOfSeaside31 to the
following configurations:

 - ConfigurationOfJavascript31
 - ConfigurationOfJQuery31
 - ConfigurationOfJQueryUI31
 - ConfigurationOfScriptaculous31 (contains protoype)
 - ConfigurationOfComet31
 - ConfigurationOfSeasideRest31
 - ConfigurationOfJson31
 - ConfigurationOfRss31
 - ConfigurationOfSeasideWelcome31 (contains 'OneClick' group)

ConfigurationOfSeaside31 is still huge though. I tried to give each
configuration a 'Base', 'Base Tests' and optionally a 'Base Examples'
group. I common problem I ran into is referring to an other
configuration. I copied and pasted the following block without really
understanding what it does:

spec
	project: 'Seaside Core' with: [
		spec
			className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside31';
			versionString: #'bleedingEdge';
			loads: #('Core' );
			repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ].

Does this actually load the 'Core' group of ConfigurationOfSeaside31?
If so how do I just import package definitions (eg. dependencies on
'Seaside-Canvas') from ConfigurationOfSeaside31 especially considering
that since ConfigurationOfSeaside31 is the package it's already
loaded.