[Seaside-dev] cookie based sessions, RESTful urls no _k

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 21:39:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Philippe Marschall <
philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/1/31 Nick Ager <nick.ager at gmail.com>:
> > However, the point I tried to make above is that this is a general
> Seaside
> > problem - not specific to Pier, though Pier as a RESTful application
> exposes
> > the issue.
>
> Right. But my understanding is that from what Julian said there is no
> generic fix because if you don't have a RESTful (probably the wrong
> word) URL then the current behavior is correct. To me the problem
> seems to be that we hack all these things into #initialRequest:
> because that's the only real way we have of dealing with state in the
> URL. To me the question is whether instead of putting another brittle
> hack into WASession we should rather move things that don't really
> need a session into a filter on session or application and have a
> better way to initialize components from state from the request URL.
> In general better support for applications that have state in the URL.
> This kinda goes in the way of the "Window shopping mode" that David
> Buck was talking about. A generic way of going form a session less
> application to a session based application. You recently said you
> wanted vision, there it is :-)
>
> I've been playing this week again with pulling the concept of a session
(i.e. what the rest of the world calls a session) up outside the level of
the Application. This means you could wrap the entire site (or a particular
Dispatcher) in a session filter that would make the session available to
everything below it. This seems to work pretty well (need to sort out how
to deal with query-parameter-based session keys, but works fine with
cookies...) and seems like it ought to make such a transition easier.

Still experimenting with ideas... (that's only one of many on the go in
this image)