[Seaside-dev] Grease for Squeak

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 11:35:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 1:46 AM, John McKeon <p3anoman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Seasode-Developers
> I would like your opinions on proceeding with the creation of a Grease
> platform for Squeak. The question arises, why not just subclass
> GRPharoPlatform and override the few methods that need overriding for Squeak
> and be done with it. Things would be much simpler than the alternative
> method of copying GRPharoPlatform and making it Squeak's own. This path not
> only requires quite a bit of class copying (mostly the codecs amd related
> streams), but also requires a duplication of every Seaside-Pharo-• package
> to a Seaside-Squeak-• package as well (unless ther is something I am
> missing). Not to mention the rewiring of the ConfiguationOfSeaside3 that
> would be necessary.
> So, in light of the close relationship of Pharo to Squeak and the
> overwhelming amount of code reuse that it would afford, is subclassing that
> bad?
> I look forward to your thoughts

Whatever works best for you. It will be a bit confusing since in
Squeak you'll have Grease-Pharo-Core and Grease-Squeak-Core (I assume
the GRPharoPlatform subclass goes here) loaded. Things may get tricky
once there is a single class extension for Pharo that doesn't work for
Squeak.
In general I would recommend you to just try it out and see whether it works.