[Seaside] Re: [Seaside-dev] Optimization / performance tuning

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Sun May 17 19:54:35 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-05-17 at 13:26 +0200, Johan Brichau wrote:
> I have never tried anything along those lines but you could decorate a component and keep the rendered html in that decoration. Something along:
>
> renderContentOn: html
> 	^ html html: (generatedHtml ifNil:[ generatedHtml := WAHtmlCanvas builder render:[:html2 | self renderNextOn: html2 ] ])

That's an interesting idea... I'll give it a shot.

> Though I’m seriously doubting any advantage in performance here by caching. This will only provide an advantage if the rendering code inside that cached component is slow.
> If you need a page that is cached, try using a restful url in your app and turn on a front-end webserver page cache for that url.

If I were just looking at performance from the standpoint of a single
session, I'd agree that it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.
However, with multiple simultaneous sessions/users on a typical
cycle-starved VPS it is another story.  A front-end cache wouldn't help
as only part of the page (i.e. the unchanging components) will be static
across multiple requests.  (Note: the truly static content including css
and javascript is already being served by Apache)