[Seaside-dev] Pharo7 - git - branches - platforms - baseline ?

Cyril Ferlicot D. cyril.ferlicot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:01:43 UTC 2018

Le 04/12/2018 à 17:13, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Pharo 7 is coming closer to a release so it is good that Seaside loads well into the latest Pharo 7 RC, especially the #pharo7 branch.
>
> Although the differences between the #master and #pharo7 branch are small (just 2 methods), the question is how to integrate those fixes (as they are specific to pharo 7). (See the gaps in the CI build matrix).
>
> When I look at BaselineOfSeaside3 I get really confused. This is so complex, so verbose that I feel intimidated to propose any changes. Even though Seaside is complex and supports different platforms and different versions of those platforms, we should be able to do much better.
>
> What are the guidelines/ideas/plans here ? What is the strategy ?
>
> IMHO, a baseline should first and foremost clearly describe an ideal situation in #common, and only then define - ideally small - exceptions for different platforms/versions. It should be possible to first see and understand the base structure.
>
> Groups, sub components and dependencies should be clear.
>
> It might also help to cut some support for very old versions and or platforms that do not yet support git based loading.
>
> Or should each branch hold its own, much cleaner baseline ? And will we then keep on maintaining different branches ?
>
> Wasn't it also the goal to put platform differences in Grease as much as possible ?

Hi,

I am currently cleaning a little the baseline and packages to remove
everything related to Pharo < 4. One fix is already integrated. 3 other
are waiting review and when they will be integrated I'll check if I can
further clean it. (I think I already see one or two things I can clean
but I don't want to do too many PR that will end up in conflict)

As you can see here for example:

https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/pull/1056/files

It reduce quite a lot the complexity of some parts.

Another example: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/pull/1054/files