[Seaside-dev] Load failure of Seaside3 into Squeak 5.2alpha

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 22:28:45 UTC 2018

Hi Tim,

Thanks again for you help.

On 12 Nov 2018, at 2:31, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> On 2018-11-11, at 6:30 AM, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim, Tobias,
>>
>> I've let this issue lie around after the change to Squeak website and
>> I'm not entirely sure if I need to do anything more. Tim, is this
>> still an open issue for you?
>
> I've run test loads just to see how it works for me now. Again, Squeak
> 5.2, RaspberryPi.
>
> SqueakMap - dead easy; update the list of course. Pick Seaside. Click
> install.
> I see it was even updated yesterday. Starts loading metacello etc.
> Loads Seaside. No problems. Web browser connects immediately. A+++
> would install again.
>
> Github, as pointed to by the https://squeak.org/projects/  page, where
> it points on to https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside page, where it
> points to https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work, which points
> to https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work where finally it
> tells me to 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello.'
> Ok, that starts metacello loading. Wait a while. Oh, yes, go back to
> the github page for Seaside, copy & paste
>  'Metacello new
> baseline:'Seaside3';
>  repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
>  load'
> Seaside control panel is *not* helpfully initialised and the only
> 'adaptor' offered (a WATestServerAdaptor) does not appear to allow a
> browser to connect. The SqueakMap install provides a helpfully usable
> WAWebServerAdaptor.
> C - would like to whine at vendor about delivery options.

I've improved the loading instructions for Squeak and opened an issue
for control panel initialisation and adaptor installation:
https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/issues/1074.

> 'Quick Install' as pointed to by the https://squeak.org/projects/
> page - where one is advised to use the same metacello incantation as
> above, but not given the nice simple 'Installer
> ensureRecentMetacello.' advise. In fact the metacello quick install on
> the same page is quite different, a bit confusing and possibly now out
> of date. Further, the project page is, as mentioned above, pointing to
> the wrong github and potentially worse, it is anchored such that you
> won't see the advice to jump to the current github page unless you
> scroll around.
> D - offputting confusion and possible incorrect code loaded by
> following advice. Complain to credit card company and demand refund.

I've created a pull request for squeak.org with improvements:
https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/pull/26.

Cheers,
Max