[Seaside] <head>, <body>, and css

Kamil Kukura kamk@volny.cz
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:00:08 +0200

>The solution I've adopted, for now, is to explicitly encode knowledge of
>the html/head/body structure into seaside's templates.  Templates are now
>rendered in two passes - first, the head section for each subcomponent is
>rendered together in a single head block, and then the body section of the
>template is rendered in the normal way.  Thus, any subcomponent anywhere
>in the page can contribute something to the head block.
>
>This has broader implications than just CSS, of course - subcomponents can
>now affect the title of the page, force a redirect, and so on.  Which
>seems like a Good Thing, in general.  However, I'm not so keen on the
>complexity this adds - it's one more thing developers, designers,
>documentors, have to keep in mind.
>
>Anyone have any thoughts on how useful this would be to them, and how ugly
>they find the special treatment of the head block?

Hmm, I was thinking about some implicit subcomponent (reachable by
something like "self root htmlHead") that would provide html's head
manipulation. According to HTML4 there should be setting for mandatory
<title> and optional <base> element. Then, perhaps it should have
collection of elements as defined in %head.misc entity. These are
script, style, meta, link, object.

--
Kamil