[Seaside] <head>, <body>, and css

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:36:08 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Kamil Kukura wrote:

> Hmm, I was thinking about some implicit subcomponent (reachable by
> something like "self root htmlHead") that would provide html's head
> manipulation. According to HTML4 there should be setting for mandatory
> <title> and optional <base> element. Then, perhaps it should have
> collection of elements as defined in %head.misc entity. These are
> script, style, meta, link, object.

It seems a little weird to me to treat the head elements so completely
differently from any other html - I think I'd rather be able to reuse the
concepts of templates and bindings here too, partly because a lot of the
<head> element is still more in the domain of the designer than the
developer, and so may well want to be in an external html file.

On the other hand, I admit that the head block basically amounts to a
bunch of import statements - how horrible a restriction is it to force it
to be exactly that?  That is, components never directly manipulate the
head block, but rather return a list of resources (.css files, .js files)
that they want imported?  Is that too much of an 80% solution? script
blocks can be in the body as easily as the head, and forcing style to be
in a separate .css doesn't bother me; titles are a messy issue anyway
(which subcomponent gets to choose the title for the whole page?), so meta
tags are the only real problem...

Hmm.
Avi