[Seaside] Support for CSS?

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 01:00:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Kamil Kukura wrote:

> > So better is to use "class" attribute, which can appear with the same
> > value multiple times. Although it can contain slash character (in case
> > of "iterator/collection"), the stylesheets won't work with it. So
> > probably it should be reformatted as class="iterator-collection".
> >
> Hmm, the case of sea:id="method:" also needs replacement. So perhaps
> underscore looks better:
>
> sea:id="method:" -> class="method_"
> sea:id="iterator/collection" -> class="iterator_collection"

How about / becomes -, and : just disappears?
I know ids are supposed to be unique, but I'd rather have the flexibility
of both class and id (ie, class specified manually, id generated
automatically).  sea:ids are supposed to be unique too, they just
never are in practice.  But in practice, browsers deal fine with
non-unique CSS ids too.  So I'm not sure whether we it's worth expanding
to class= instead of id=.

A bigger concern I have is name conflicts between subcomponents; since
they're all combined into one big HTML file, they lose any namespace
protection for ids and classes.  They could be prefixed, but that gets
messy.