[Seaside] tutorial1: form submit method

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 01:19:09 -0700 (PDT)

> But, what exactly happens if there was *no* action attribute specified
> in the form tag above, and it is therefore just <form> rather than <form
> action="@convert">?  What method gets invoked then?

None.  No dynamic form, no action.  If the submit button had a dynamic id
instead, it should work.  If neither does, you're in unvarnished HTTP
land.

> The reason I am asking is because some server-to-server communication
> conventions will try to do just that.  For example, if you use the IPN
> (Instant Payment Notification) server-to-server feature of PayPal, then
> the PayPal server will try to invoke a URL that you have specified, with
> a form filled with a bunch of hidden input fields.

Why would you want this to connect to a Seaside app instead of some other
Comanche module, say?  Seaside is *not* a generic CGI processing
framework, it is very tuned to its own output.  This sounds like a case of
using the right tool for the job, and Seaside ain't it.  Obviously you
could take some action that affected a Seaside app based on that form
input, but I wouldn't bother trying to use Seaside itself to process forms
it didn't generate.  I mean, you could also have an XML-RPC server as part
of a Seaside app, but it would listen on a different port and use a
totally different processing mechanism - why confuse things?