[Seaside] [BUG][FIX]PWS seaside cannot handle plain url

Tim Rowledge tim@sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:31:54 -0700

> Julian Fitzell wrote:

> > There are so many ways a web server could be set up and laid out...
> > can we make an assumption that will work?  Perhaps we could check if
> > there is already something linked to "default" and if not, then add
> > ourselves?
I guess that would be reasonable - PWS explicitly tries a default action
if there is no url, but doens't install anything for that default, thus
we get that utterly unhelpful 'key not found' page. Checking to see if
anything is there and only adding seaside if not would be easy and I
think reasonable.

Nevin said:-

> I'm using Comanche rather than PWS, but my solution is that if 'seaside'
> is not already in the URL, then Seaside never gets invoked, and Comanche
> just handles it.  This allows Comanche to handle normal URL's as if
> Seaside wasn't present.  This also means that Comanche handles the empty
> URL case, and Seaside never sees it.
If Comanche handles it ok, that is fine - PWs doesn't and should. If you
see what I mean. Perhaps a better fix to PWs would be to give it a
sensible default page that explains how to get it setup more precisley?
Or, given the age of PWS and the improvements in Comanche, perhaps it is
time to rip out PWS and replace it?

> Furthermore, I removed the 'config' append code, making it so that all
> invocations of the Seaside 'config' app have to be deliberate.  I would
> rather people didn't "accidentally" stumble on the config page, even
> though it's password protected.
That's probably sensible. A simple default home page would be good.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim@sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
Useful random insult:- His outgoing message starts with, "Hello, Mr. Answering Machine."