[Seaside] Seaside2: separation between content and presentation

Alain Fischer seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 23:03:41 +0100

Hi Seasiders,

I have taken time to look at the new Seaside2. Congratulation, its a
nice piece of work.

I like the way you have handled the Component history through the
ManagedObject class.
There is only one minor drawback I see: We could not use the "inst var
refs..." menu of the browser.

But I wanted to know the vision of all seasiders about separation
between content and presentation.
When I make a web site for a customer, the common way to proceed is that
I receive an html prototype
of the pages I must generate then I transform them using the webObjects
tools in templates.
It's easy if the templates are not organised too hierarchicaly,
otherwise it could be difficult.

What is the future of Seaside2 (the Marquez part) ?
When will be Marquez released even if it is experimental ?
What is manner to handle this separation of you other web programmer ?

Has I see it, there is multiple way to do this:

1) Using the templates of seaside0.94
     + very near to WebObjects, easy for simple templates
     - hard to do when the templates are hierachical.

2) Using XML/XSL style sheet (transformation could be on client browser
or on the server side)
      + w3c standard
      - not well supported on browser, authoring tools and web designer.

3) Converting html page in HTMLGenerator code
     A way to explore. Perhaps coupled with the refactoring browser to
cut one page in hierachical component.
     Some tool like object explorer modified to see only html structure
could bee good too.

Alain Fischer