[Seaside] Seaside2: separation between content and presentation

tblanchard@mac.com seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 00:02:51 +0100

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 12:28  AM, Avi Bryant wrote:
> Also, if I may ask, just out of curiosity: what would it require for
> you
> to start doing some contracts with Seaside rather than WebObjects?  I
> imagine it's a fairly long list, but I'd love to know what it was.

Here's my impression (since I'm currently doing WO for money but
looking for alternatives after the crippling java port).

Seaside seems to solve the session management bit very nicely and in a
very novel way.  Better than the WO approach.  Using WO back tracking
is a bit of a problem and I routinely force the user to get a new
session often because its not that hard to screw one up after awhile.
(A session lasts for a task - no longer).  The rest of user state is
either in the database or in a cookie.

WO adds EOF.  EOF is a really amazing Object to Relational mapping
architecture.
Without EOF I probably wouldn't bother with WO but EOF is where the
real value is.

I'm looking at glorp but its rather intimidating (lots of this squeak
stuff is - good examples are scarce).  WO provides nifty bindings to
EOF via keypaths (which I noticed somewhere you have) and handles db
connection pooling.  So that's a big advantage.

Seaside doesn't address database access at all directly.  WO also has a
great set of components - something we can address in time I hope.

Those are two of the biggest items - getting db access and it feels a
bit like the model view separation is still not quite cooked.

One other nifty thing WO does is sit behind a conventional web server
via a CGI, modapache, or nsapi adaptor that does load balancing across
several application instances.  I don't know what the load balancing
strategy for Seaside is.  How do you scale it up?  I'm also not
convinced that Commanche is nearly as robust as apache both stability
wise and performance wise.  For smaller sites, this isn't likely a big
deal.  But I know how to scale huge WO apps - can't say I can say the
same for Seaside.

But of course, I'm just learning (and really likiing) it.

Todd Blanchard