[Seaside] Database

Adrian Lienhard seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 22:11:44 +0100

Hi all

What kind of databases do you use for your Seaside applications?

The first question for me is if to use a Relational DB or a Object DB. Most
of the time I don't have much data to store. But I would also want to be
prepared  for a project with much data and fulltext search queries. What's
quite important is reliability. What would also be nice is if I could access
the database from over ODBC (so it would be a RDB). Furthermore it should be
accessible over the network. If a RDB then prferably Postgres

What I found to be interesting (anything missing?)...

O/R-Mappings:
-----------------
Tantalus (http://www.whistler.com/aboutus/index.php?inc=tantalusDocs.inc)
maturity (from SqueakMap): "Useable by daredevils. Probably still full of
bugs." So maybe not the the choice for productive apps(?)

GLORP port
maturity: "Useable but still not stable, probably has bugs."
same as above

Object DB
-------------
MinneStore (http://minnestore.sourceforge.net)
maturity: "Useable by all. Bugs are rare."
So, this seams to be interesting. Search queries..

Magma
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2665
probably not tested in productive environments..(?)

Other
--------
- Berkeley DB (http://www.sleepycat.com/). Plugin for Squeak:
http://spair.swiki.net/27 from Stephen Pair
The DB may be very good in some areas (according to the webpage..). But eg.
for doing a fulltext search it's quite useless because all data would have
to be loaded into the client application... And second, it can't be used
over the network.

So, I really don't know... I think to tend to Postgres and try to use
Tantalus. On the other hand it would be probably more comfortable to use a
object database.

What are your experiences?

Thanks
Adrian