[Seaside] session reference

Jeffrey Odell seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:39:17 -0500

Well - my interest has been and continues to be the Dolphin platform.
Per our discussions at OOPSLA, it seemed like a workaround to use a
state dictionary was not that difficult.  I was thinking with a little
refactoring you could have it both ways, and just not port the part with
the compiler trick.

I don't yet have any practical experience that indicates how much state
I want tracked, vs. how much is transient.  If you find yourself marking
half of the state as transient anyway, it would be as easy to just us a
specialized accessor to mark the state that needs to be tracked.

jlo

-----Original Message-----
From: seaside-admin@lists.squeakfoundation.org
[mailto:seaside-admin@lists.squeakfoundation.org] On Behalf Of Avi
Bryant
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 4:07 PM
To: seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Subject: RE: [Seaside] session reference

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Stephen Pair wrote:

> I think that you need to make a decision on that front sooner rather
> than later as it will affect many decisions that you'll make.
> Portability to other dialects is nice, but there are also many
> benefits in being more intimately tied to the Squeak platform.  Not
> only do you need to decide whether or not to be portable, but also how

> you will achieve portability...here are two extremes:
>
> A) Do what SUnit did: build an entire portability layer
> B) Do what I did with Kats: I didn't do any work to make it portable
> and took the approach that I'd port it when someone was willing to pay

> me to port it...which I did.  The VisualAge port of Kats ended up
> being almost trivial even though I never designed Kats with
> portability in mind.

Yeah.  I'm definitely on the B) side - I'm not interested in cluttering
the code with a portability layer, and my experience is similar to yours
- porting from one dialect to the next is usually just busywork.

However, there are some things that are huge red flags for portability:
call/cc means Seaside will never run on VA or ST/X (oh well).  Needing a
custom compiler would rule out Dolphin.  Needing Runtime Environments
may well rule out something else.  Without getting overly obsessive
about portability, I can still try not to make life too impossible for
potential porters.

Nobody commented on the possibility of using an explicit state
dictionary for components, instead of compiler tricks.  No opinions?