[Seaside] url's... towards multi-section multi-domain seaside

Derek Brans seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:25:09 -0800

I'm still a little hung-over from 1/2 price beer at Yaletown Brewing
Company last night... so excuse any incoherence...

As I mentioned earlier, I'm working on a site that's mostly html but has
a couple of sections that I want to use seaside for.

The seaside sections should remember a user once they've logged in.

I want the ability to pass variables into an application via the url...
this "hard-coded" url would only be used to reconfigure an application
to a different state

Potentially I want to be able to host more than one domain from a single
squeak process.

I think this is a design that I will use often in my web development,
I'm looking for a good way to handle it.

So, here's an example url:
http://somedomain.com/calendar

I want to mod proxy that to:
http://127.0.0.1:8000/somedomain.com/calendar

where somedomain.com is the name of the application responsible for the
sections in that domain.
I want seaside to keep sending me to somedomain.com/calendar, so long as
I'm in the calendar section in order to make the url look consistent.

Now, what if I want to take them directly to a particular event on the
calendar?

http://somedomain.com/calendar?id=business%20meeting

I need to implement this functionality.  Don't know how hard it will be.

The hardest problem right now is getting mod-proxy to behave well with
Seaside without requiring a baseURL like "seaside"... hmmm.  I suppose I
could get somedomain.com application to respond
"http://somedomain.com/sectionName" when queried for it's application
base url.

Implementing the notion of "section", which seems well-defined at the
moment, is another challenge.

Any comments?

Thank you,
Derek

Nerd on a Wire: Web and Information Solutions
Website Design - Database Systems - Site Hosting
604.874.6463
mailto:info@nerdonawire.com
For more information, visit http://nerdonawire.com