[Seaside] More transaction rambling

Frank Sergeant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:40:53 -0600

Cees de Groot <cg@theinternetone.net> wrote:

> the stuff above...) are the two halves of a pliers (is that correct use
> of the word 'pliers' -

In the above case, I would have said "the two halves of a pair of
pliers".  I find I use no article only when the 'pliers' begins a
sentence ("Pliers might be useful for cracking a pecan.").  I might say
"Hand me the pliers.".  So, generally speaking, it is always "the
pliers", treated as plural ("The pliers are heavy.") or "a pair of
pliers", treated as singular.  I hope that helps.

> I hate these nouns that mix-up singular and
> plural?).

English is hell.  I am constantly amazed at the excellent English spoken
(at least written) by the "foreigners" on newsgroups and mailing lists.

-- Frank