[Seaside] The Joy of HTML (was Very wierd IACache problems)

Julian Fitzell seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 02:45:45 -0700

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Julian Fitzell <julian@beta4.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:
>

>>Hrm... the HTML spec allows for TABLE to be inside FORM.  In fact, it's
>>your INPUT tag that violates the spec, but everyone puts inputs directly
>>in the form.  They're supposed to go inside some block tag like a <p> or
>>a <fieldset> or something... (don't get me started about the spec :)
>
> Interesting; all the examples on the W3C pages do indeed show <P> tags
> inside forms, but don't seem to actually _say_ anything about it.
> Typical of the dismal layout on that site.
>
> I had a sudden idea about this problem a while after sending my last
> message. I think it might be something related to putting forms inside
> forms, which is probably considered a mortal sin by html junkies.

Yup, definitely bad.  <form> tags are explicitly excluded from the
allowable content of a <form> tag.  I think you've found your problem.

As Avi said, if you give such atrocities to Seaside, it will happily
spit it back out the other side, but the internal parse trees would
definitely be a little weird.

If you care, I'm betting you could run HTMLTidy on your template it
would catch such things for you.

Julian

--
julian@beta4.com