[Seaside] [OT] Lisp vs. Smalltalk

Frank Sergeant frank@canyon-medical.com
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 22:57:42 -0600

Avi Bryant <avi@beta4.com> wrote:

> Oh dear, that question.
> On the face of it, Smalltalk's lack of macros makes it rather less useful
> than Lisp.  However, Smalltalk makes an engineering trade off.  It says,
> worthwhile trade off: I lose some of the strict power of Lisp, but I gain
> a hugely productive environment.

Thanks for giving me such very interesting ideas to think about and for
the recommendation about Ruby.  I do have the Programming Ruby book by
Thomas and Hunt but I have barely glanced at it so far.  My initial
reaction was negative in that the cluttered syntax was reminiscent of
Perl (and Python was already a friend).  I'll have to re-think that now.

-- Frank