[Seaside] Re: those manic algorithmic questions

Tim Rowledge seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:07:57 -0700

Well, it looks like it might be a simpler problem than I feared (thank
Cthulu) that needs solving. The idea is not to have to generate such
complicated multiple choice questions at each view request, but to
produce algorithmic fill-in-the-blank type questions when the question
is added to a test.

I think I've demonstrated that the initial scary idea is actually bad;
imagine taking a test where you get asked a bit of simple arithmetic
dressed up as an accounting question (all accounting is just dressed up
trivial arithmetic), say
Q1. what is 3 + 4?
	[text box] )you type in 7
and then next time you go to that same question it is different (being a
magical dynamic question), say
Q1. what is 6 + 23?
--ack! what should appear in the text box where you had previousy typed
7? 29, on the grounds that you got it right previously? Eek.

You probably see the problem.

So, now I can actually create a more sensible system where there are
template questions that get instantiated when aded to a test. Once
added, they are fixed, like quails in aspic. I might even implement this
as trivial classes with simple methods to implement the algorithm and a
number of collections of possible parameters and explicatory strings.
I'm sure there must be a more elegant answer though!

tim

tim@sumeru.stanford.edu