[Seaside] backwards compatibility vs. progress

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:11:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Jim Benson wrote:
> 0.94 isn't released, it doesn't matter if it is or not., assuming what
> is coming is better.  Personally, I want the best thing I can get
> going forward, don't keep the weak stuff for nostalgias sake.

Well, yes, that does raise the question of whether to release 0.94 at all:
0.93 works, it's (somewhat) documented, etc.  Why get everyone to update
all their code to 0.94 if there's just going to be a 0.95 that changes
everything again anyway?

My main rationale for going forward with 0.94 is that there are two
porting efforts to other dialects that are being based on the 0.94
snapshot, and it would be nice to get everyone (Squeak/VW/Dolphin) on the
same page.  Then I can start with the serious restructuring.

Avi