[Seaside] backwards compatibility vs. progress

Cees de Groot seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
27 Jun 2002 00:24:40 +0200

Avi Bryant <avi@beta4.com> said:
>Just a general philosophical question (maintainer angst, if you will).

Burn the damn ships. 0.9x says the stuff is experimental, and if people start
whining about backward compatibility now, you'll never discover new land.

If you feel like doing major refactorings, please go ahead. What we've seen
sofar is good, and if you can think you can make it better, great. By the time
you think you've got it, you can start crawling towards 1.0 and that's the
earliest moment you should take into account possible production
installations.

I'll be happy to do a VW re-port, in any case ;-)

(On the downside, it will probably mean that for the current project I'm
starting, a customer rewards system for a large brewery, I'll probably need to
use .SSP as long as Seaside is in flux :-( - but then, other opportunities
will arise, more projects are in the pipeline)
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo