[Seaside] URL link and caching

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:00:28 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Kamil Kukura wrote:

> Once I had such idea to use URL a browser navigates just as some kind of
> transaction reference. Now with SeaSide this dream comes true :)
>
> I was just wondering if in-way caches are carried out because of
> ever-changing URL and I found something in IAResponse>>initialize but it
> is commented out :(

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  If you're talking about browser
caches, then yes, they don't get used since the URL changes.  Of course,
even if the page looked identical, you wouldn't want to use the cached
one, because as you say, it's in a different transaction.  The stuff
commented out in IAResponse (the no-cache headers) was due to some
problems we were having at one point with IE caching overzealously, but it
doesn't seem to be necessary any more.

We've played some interesting games with browser caching, however.
Although none of this remains in Seaside, there was a point where you
could specify that the same url should be reused between a group of page
views, so that the browser replaced the old ones with the new ones in its
cache.  This allowed for much better use of the back button - on some
browsers anyway, hitting back would bring you to the previous transaction,
say, instead of the previous view of the same page.  This functionality
got lost when the current transaction system got introduced, but I'd
like to reimplement it, if I can figure out a reasonable API for its use.