[Seaside] Introduction / Apache integration / etc.

Damon Anderson damon@spof.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:29:21 -0600

Avi Bryant writes:
 > Indeed - you wanna know how many implementations of Scheme I looked
 > at before realizing I could just add continuations to Smalltalk? ;-)

Me too. I like Lisp, but I got frustrated with the lack of support for
server-side development in any of the "free" lisps I tried. I tend to
prefer OO to functional anyway, so this is perfect.

 > What I'm most likely to integrate in the immediate future is support
 > for GOODS; if you feel like hacking on that, let me know.

I've looked at the web site but haven't done anything with it yet. I
expect that I'll at least give it a shot, although for the immediate
future I think that persistence/transactions on top of a relational
database will be more useful to me. Maybe this will result in generic
interfaces that both of our projects can implement? That would be nice
anyway.

 > Having an Oracle plugin would be very nice.

I agree. I sometimes use Postgres or MySQL(yech) for small personal
projects, but I do most things in Oracle. The main obstacle to switching
my personal apps over to Oracle is that 8i+ can only be installed under
X Windows and I don't have any traces of X on my server. Once I figure
out how to get Oracle onto the server in the first place the Squeak
plugin will become a higher priority. Currently everything is stuck on
my Win2k desktop.

 > As you may know, there's already a Postgres client for Squeak. The
 > trick is getting a good O/R mapping going - I have various messy bits
 > of code for that, but I'm not keen on releasing them yet. There's
 > also GLORP that could be ported.

I see, so there is. I'll take a look at it.

 > > Also, I don't feel comfortable with Squeak listening on an open
 > > port on my server, [...]. Has anybody else worked on something like
 > > this?
 >
 > Already there.  Look at IAModLisp.

Ahhh. I've seen it turn up on swikis but skipped over it because of the
name. It looks perfect, and probably much simpler than the Warp
connector.

Thanks for all of the info.

-damon