[Seaside] new seaside user

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:57:12 -0800 (PST)

On 21 Mar 2002, Jake Donham wrote:

> I am a new Seaside (and Smalltalk) user. I went through the
> tutorials--they're very exciting! I'm planning to do a personal web
> project and I wanted to use some different tools than what I use at
> work (Java, C++, MySQL). I was thinking about Zope, but then I saw
> Alan Kay speak in NYC last week and I started playing with Squeak--now
> I'm hooked.

Welcome! ;-)

> I'm a little confused by all the versions running around (the Squeak
> project needs a librarian)--what are recent but reasonably stable
> releases of Squeak and Comanche that I should work with?

I've been fine with Squeak 3.2gamma and Comanche 4.9.  I wouldn't go to
3.0 or 3.3, but anything in the 3.1 - 3.2 range seems pretty solid.  I've
never seen the crash you had with Comanche, although I have noticed that
at some point Comanche stopped coming back online when I restart the VM.
Since you can pass the VM a startup script on the command line, this
hasn't been a big deal... just create a file with "IAKom startOn: 8000" in
it (on *nix anyway - I assume there's an equivalent for Windows or MacOS).