[Seaside] How to make an upload page

Alain Fischer alain.fischer@bluewin.ch
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:45:08 +0100

Le Vendredi 22 mars 2002, =E0 07:41 , Julian Fitzell a =E9crit :

> Alain Fischer wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> Thanks to Avi for having done this quite impressive framework
>> I finally have found time to try Seaside and the first impression is=20=

>> quite good.
>> I have tried to develop a small application with Seaside and with=20
>> WebObject.
>> The result is that just with the tutorial and some information from=20=

>> the mailing
>> list I was able to develop more rapidly with Seaside.
>
> Very good to hear.
>

>> The text input work well but I don' know how to have access to the=20
>> file name
>> in the input box nor I know how to have access to the data of the =
file.
>> I have tried to put the atribute name=3D"@filestuff" but the method =
with=20
>> the
>> corresponding name is never called. I think that I miss something
>> very basic but I don't figure out what.
>> With WebObject there is a WOFileUplod component with two binding:=20
>> filePath and data
>> and this kind of operation is quite easy except that the filePath is=20=

>> dependent of the browser.
>> Any bits of information is welcome.
>> Alain.
>
> Hmm... the file upload tag is on my list of things to do some time but=20=

> we haven't got to it yet - so that's why it doesn't work :)
>
> What would you want the behaviour to be?  Should it dump the data to a=20=

> temporary file somewhere and give you the filename?  Should it return =
a=20
> stream object with data in it that you could write to a file?  I'm=20
> assuming the former might be better since you don't know how big the=20=

> file might be and probably don't want to keep it all in memory.

Thanks for taking a look at this. For my need the prefered behavior is a=20=

data stream because some files will be saved on disk
and other file will be only loaded in memory with other data already=20
there and later all the application data will be saved
to disk. For a more general view, I think the data stream is more=20
flexible and big file over internet is not often seen.

> I'll try and get to this today or over the weekend.  If you wanted to=20=

> poke more you'd need to look at implementing a subclass of IAInput to=20=

> handle 'file' types... but then Seaside does currently get multipart=20=

> data from the webservers and I haven't even looked how that should =
work=20
> yet...  the key parts are going to be IAKom and IARequest.

I will see how this is implemented, this is allway interesting, but I=20
think that this would be hard for me to implement a good solution.