[Seaside] component replacement

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:22:29 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Kamil Kukura wrote:

> Now I want to synchronize the body. That is when helper swaps then body
> needs go to home, like by code: self children at 'body' jumpToPage:
> MainClass new. What I'm thinking about now is do everything what
> IAComponent>>jumpToPage: does except that continuation. Is this safe?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.  I think what you're saying is
that you have a structure like this:

      Top
  -----------
  |         |
  |         |
 Menu      Body

And you want an action in the menu to control the body, right?  In which
case something like

  (parent children at: 'body') jumpToPage: ...

would work, and yes, would be safe.  But I don't have any idea what you
mean by "everything what IAComponent>>jumpToPage: does except that
continuation".  Can you elaborate?

By the way, a useful pattern for menus/navbars might be to give them a
"target" instance variable, and to bind it from the parent, ie,

  addBindingsTo: template
    (template elementNamed: 'menu')
      set: #target toPath: 'children.body'

And then the code in the menu can simply look like

  target jumpToPage: ...

and the navbar can be more reusable.  Hmm, you may run into problems with
the order in which subcomponents get created, here...

Anyway, does any of this answer your question?

Avi