[Seaside] Re: Ports to Other Smalltalks

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:47:38 -0800 (PST)

Jeff - I think this was intended for the list, so I'm cc'ing it.  Hope you
don't mind.

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Jeffrey Odell wrote:

> I noticed there was an ST/X port of Seaside in progress.  I'm wondering
> if anyone has attempted a port to other platforms.
>
> I'm interested in a Dolphin port, and interfacing to Swazoo.  However,
> I'd like to hear of any porting experiences people may have had.

The ST/X port is on hold because ST/X cannot (yet, anyway) support
continuations.  My guess is porting to Dolphin will have similar problems
- certainly when I looked briefly at it I didn't see any obvious way of
implementing them (ie, the stack didn't seem to be reified in the way I'm
used to from Squeak/VW/STX).  But someone who knows Dolphin better may
have better information.

The only smalltalk other than Squeak that I know can support Seaside is
VisualWorks - a port to VW would be great, and probably not very hard.

Avi