[Seaside] importance of templates?

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 15:24:19 -0700 (PDT)

One of the major goals of a lot of the work I've done with web tools has
been to allow the HTML templates to be as clean and decoupled from the
code as possible, so that they can be maintained by a designer
independently of the development of the logic.  In all honesty, this has
been only minimally useful to me personally - with the advent of CSS in
particular, and to a lesser degree tools like XSLT, it's getting much
easier to keep the content and structure separate from the visual
presentation without needing quite so much separation between building
HTML and writing code; that is, it's (almost) feasible for the developer
to maintain a bare bones HTML document and still give the designer a lot
of leeway, through images and style sheets.

So I'm curious - how do other people work?  If there were something like a
programmatic template builder for Seaside, how much would it get used?
Would people prefer the ability to build HTML in smalltalk, or would
separate template files still be the realistic way to go for most?
Obviously having the choice of either is ideal, but I'd like to know how
many people think they'd use one or the other.

Cheers,
Avi