[Seaside] More S-Exprs

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 18:14:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Jim Benson wrote:

> That's basically the same complaint as:
>
> border = 0
>
> being rewritten as:
>
> border: '0'
>
> coming from Squeak land, it's not as attractive as saying, "border: 0"

That "border: 0" doesn't work is just a bug; it's fixed now.

> With that said, it not quite sure how more powerful macros fit in the
> scheme. My guess is that someone hands me a HTML page that I have to
> translate into a Seaside #html method. Server side logic says that you need
> more "Umph" so you need a macro of some sort. I guess at the of the day, the
> less I have to type, or hopefully machine translate, the better.

Just as a data point: except for the standard macros that come with
Seaside, I've never used one.  That doesn't mean I never will, but the
component model has been powerful enough for my purposes so far.

> Notice that one thing in the above example that obscures what is going on in
> the S-Expr world is the (edit) and (remove) statements. For other readers,
> these spit out text that includes the parens. They don't really have
> anything to do with the S-Expr itself, just a bad selection of example.

That's a complaint Paul Prescod makes about sexpr vs. xml - there are more
() in daily use than <>.