[Seaside] Self-modifying forms

Lukas Renggli seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:52:39 +0100

Hi Derek,

> I have tried using a pluggableList.  The problem comes when the user
> submits the entire form.  The pluggableList is part of the form as well,
> so there would be nested forms.  This doesn't seem to work in my
> browser.  The outer accept button just does nothing.
>
> Maybe I need to use a component which submits on a change but
> doesn't have a form of its own.

You are right, nested forms are not allowed in HTML 4 and they do not work
on most browsers. On the other hand, all controls that should be submitted
(and processed by a server) have to stay inside a form.

As you can see in WABrowser or WADebugger every list has a form on its own.
So when you want do something like you described in your initial post you
have to group your form into two parts:

1. Lists, drop-down boxes, check-boxes, option-boxes can be placed into
individual forms and submitted using JavaScript. I don't know a way to
submit textboxes and text-areas automatically, because the cursor position
and the selection can't be restored.

2. You should then put the rest of your controls into another form
containing a submit-button to accept your dialog.

Hope that helps
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli