[Seaside] dvs question

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 12:22:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Derek Brans wrote:

> Hi Avi,
> Is ModuleLoader>>fileIn the same as an update?  Could you explain what
> this code does?
>
> ModuleLoader>>fileIn
> 	ChangeSorter
> 		newChangesFromStream: self changeStream
> 		named: (ChangeSet uniqueNameLike: module moduleName).

Yes - what ModuleLoader does is, for a given "logical module", it compares
the code for that module in the image with a file out of that module on
disk, and creates a changeset reflecting the differences between them.
It then files in that changeset to bring the image to the same state as
the fileOut.

You shouldn't need to use ModuleLoader, etc, directly.  Evaluate "DVSPanel
open".  This will give you a UI from which to easily manage DVS modules.

> What if I make some changes to a module in my image and then someone
> else sends me their version with other changes?

You need to use CVS or some other version control system to manage this.
The usual procedure would be:

1. fileOut from DVS
2. update from CVS (merging any changes - you may need to resolve
conflicts)
3. fileIn to DVS
4. (possibly) commit your changes to CVS

> Should we be using cvs on SF as our own repository?

No, not unless you're working on Seaside itself.

> How do you, Avi, work with dvs?

Pretty much how I've described.  I use it in conjunction with CVS, always
making sure to fileOut from DVS immediately before an update/commit cycle,
and fileIn immediately afterwards.

Avi