[Seaside] dvs-make? Module removal? Image swapping?

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:08:21 -0700 (PDT)

Weird to have one DVS thread going on squeak-dev and one on this list...
but anyway.

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Derek Brans wrote:

> Do we need a function in dvs that reads an ordered list of module files
> representing a desired image configuration?

Might be useful, yeah, but it's not an itch I've had a great need to
scratch yet... feel free to send me some code for that.

> Would it be useful to have a way to clean a module out from an image
> (without having to filein an empty module file)?

Yes, and this would be easy as long as the module didn't override any
pre-existing methods.  If it did, you would have to check back through
their version history and revert them...

> Would it be be useful to combine these two functions to be able switch
> image configurations without having to load a new image (it would save
> disk space if you were managing many different configurations - you
> would only need one image file).

Save *disk* space?  I haven't worried about disk space since I was doing
digital video editing in 1998 (back when a 20GB drive cost real money ;-).
Seriously, I can't really see that being useful enough to bother with,
except for maybe on the Mac which has an aversion to running multiple
images at once.

Cheers,
Avi