[Seaside] [Borges] Squeak Chess

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:26:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Hi all
>
> There is a quite cool implementation of the chess-game in the standard
> Squeak image. My web-application uses this model and makes it playable in a
> web-browser.

Cool.  Thanks!

> To make the images look much better you have to make a little change to
> Borges; these are not included in the change-set! Just change the third line
> of the message "WAHtmlRenderer>>imageWithForm: aForm" where the
> callback-block is defined to
>
>     callback := [ WASession currentSession respondWithDocument:
>         aForm asWebImage ].

Hmm.  I should probably improve that interface anyway, it's silly to
hardcode it to either GIF or JPG.  But really, these images should be
served statically, so the browser can cache them.  Borges doesn't have an
interface for that at all, ideas?

> Of course the application is not perfect at all. One of the problems is that
> the browser is sometimes not able to load all the images. I don't know, but
> that seems to be a problem of Borges.

I haven't seen that.  Are you on Mac OS X, by any chance?

> Another issue is that no status is given while the computer is thinking, but
> that could be added later.

Another issue is that the back button oughta work, instead of having to
use redo/undo.  But I realize that requires a lot more work.  :)

Cheers,
Avi