[Seaside] [Borges] Squeak Chess

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 00:56:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> On both browsers randomly some of the pictures get a corrupted-icon. It
> happens to about 30% of the images in Mozilla and 5% in IE.

Just had a thought as to why this might be.  Each session is protected by
a semaphore: you can't have multiple concurrent requests to the same
session.  The semaphore has a 5 second timeout, which means that if two
requests come in sequence and the earlier one is taking more than 5
seconds, it will be killed.  Since these images are being served from
session urls, they obey the same rules: perhaps the corrupted images are
those whose requests were taking too long?

The solution, which Seaside 0.94 uses, is to make static images be
served at the application level instead of the session level so they can
each have their own process.  We'll have to think about how to achieve
this for semi-static content like Form instances.