[Seaside] Debugger

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:27:08 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> There are a lot of web-base tools for like a browser, an inspector and a
> profiler. What is still missing is the debugger!
>
> So I started today with an implementation for the web: Of course there is no
> difference between the Squeak debugger and the web-based one, because they
> share the same model.
>
> When you file-in the attached change-set in case of an error a debugger will
> show up in your web-browser. You are able to step trough the code, inspect
> context and variables, restart, etc.

Lukas, that is extremely cool.  Some cosmetic notes:

- It would be good to have a header at the top showing the error message.
- Those columns at the bottom should be fixed width (they seem to either
be right beside each other if nothing's selected, or the right one is off
the page if something is ;).
- The stack should start at the point the error was signalled, not
the point the debugger was created.

As for the other issues:

> - there is no possibility to jump back to the web-application

Yes, that'll be difficult.  I'm pretty sure Proceed won't ever work
properly, maybe we should remove that button (a shame, I know).  But I'll
see if I can get it to have an OK link anyway that takes you back to
before the error.

> - you are not able to modify the code

Perhaps WAPluggableText can have an Edit button that changes it into a
textarea with accept/cancel?

> - strange things happen sometimes to the stack-list

Yes, what I've noticed is that it gets confused between two equal stack
frames (select one and it jumps down to an identical one lower on the
list).  Not sure what we can do about that (or how PluggableListMorph
solves the same problem).

Avi