[Seaside] New to Seaside

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Chris Double wrote:

> For someone new to Seaside, would it be better to start with the
> original Seaside code or try out the 2.0 code straight away?

That really depends on where your interest lies.  There are a couple of
easy answers:

- If you need or want HTML templates, rather than programmatic HTML
generation, use Seaside 0.9x (that is, do you prefer dom-builder or
Koala/DSP? ;-)
- If you want an API that's totally stable or complete, use Seaside 0.9x

On the other hand, if you want to hack on the framework, or help move it
forward, or just don't care about the earlier two points, use Seaside 2.0.
The largely completed "Borges" layer is a nice framework in itself to
develop with, even without the (vaporware)  additions to it that will
eventually form Seaside 2.0.  There's a lot less strange magic to contend
with than in the original Seaside code, and it is IMO more "in the spirit
of Smalltalk".  I should also say that people who have used both tend to
prefer the new code.

> Is any more work going to be done on the original code?

There are still applications being developed with it, so it
will be maintained, but I wouldn't expect much new on that branch
except for bug fixes.

Cheers,
Avi